Monday, August 15, 2011

Bad Virus

Tuesday(July5) I decided to take Molly in because she was still running a fever that would spike but come down with medicine. The pediatrician checked her out everything looked good so he said it would be silly for him to not check and she if she had a UTI. They send the boys out of the room and they hung out with some nurses and ate cookies while 2 other nurses came in to put a catheter in poor Molly. It was horrible because when they went to do it (men you don't have to read this part, skip to the next paragraph) she was totally shut. They stopped what they were doing and waited for the doctor to come back in. He had to reopen her and then get the sample. Oh, I felt so bad for her! Turns out she didn't have a UTI so just a virus. Her fever finally broke later that day so I felt like we were on the road to recovery.

Well Wednesday, the weirdest thing happened. She had been waking up between 6 or 7 for as long as I can remember. Well 7:00 passed, 8:00 passed, 9:00 passed and she was still sound asleep. I wasn't too concerned because she had seriously lost a lot of sleep the past several days from being up a lot at night and taking really short naps. I was actually getting stuff accomplished when I realized this wasn't normal. I called my mom and she said it would be best to wake her up and if she was okay she could catch up on more sleep at nap. So I went in there and she was completely out of it and really sweaty. I calmed her down and she seemed to be oriented to what was going on after a few minutes. I gave her breakfast (at 10:30) and the boys played. She was very clingy and just wanted to be held. I fed the boys a normal lunch and then decided to do normal naps even though I was convinced she wouldn't nap. Well I was wrong, she went to sleep at 2 and I woke her up at 6!!! I was really starting to freak out now. I mean yes it's nice everyone once in a while to have a child get some extra sleep but this was weird.
Breakfast at 10:30
Woken up from a 4 hour nap
Thursday the same thing was going on with her sleeping super late in the morning. I decided to call the pediatrician back and see what the nurse suggested. She said it would be best to bring her in. I got her an appointment and my mom came out to stay with Matthew while my friend let Andrew tag along with them to junior golf. It was kind a nice but wield experience once we got to the pediatrician. We were called back right way and when they were trying to weigh her Dr. Bob walked by and said, oh no, you're back and she doesn't look good. He came right in because she was the "sickest kid of the hour". He was happy to see that she had developed a rash because that typically means if it's a virus it is nearing the end. He was concerned that she was lethargic but encouraged by that fact that she was responsive (she shook her head no when he asked if he could look in her mouth). He told me she was good to go and that I needed to call him first thing in the morning and let him know if anything had changed. 

Friday the doctor called before Molly woke up to see how she was doing. I told him she was still asleep and he said to call back when she was up for a few hours and give him an update. She slept late again but didn't seem any worse. I called back to let him know and he said he was comfortable with me just keeping an eye on her. It was a little bit of a scary week but ended up that she just had a bad virus. I felt bad for the boys because we didn't do much outside of the house but they were troopers. 
The ducklings are now teenagers
Matthew has a very sensitive nose

No comments:

Post a Comment