Thursday, July 30, 2009

Check Ups

Tuesday I took the boys to their 4 year and 18 month check ups. Amazingly, we got right in and the doctor was in the room before the nurse closed the door after taking all of their stats. Thank goodness because Matthew was in RARE form. He was still not feeling well from the virus he had while we were on vacation. As I said in my previous post, his fever broke Sunday evening BUT Monday he woke up from nap covered in a rash...poor guy. I guess I'd be crabby too.

So anyway, we got right in to the doctor. The nurse weighed Andrew and measured him on the big boy scale: 41.5 inches (70th percentile) and 36 lbs (25th percentile). Now Matthew of course was a different story. He is still weighed on the baby scale and without fail EVERY TIME we walk into the room at the pediatrician's office he freaks out. So of course I can't hold him on the scale so after 4 times of him trying to dive off, the nurse took his binky and held it so he would reach for it instead of me. After two attempts of that, we got his weight, 22 pounds, 5th percentile. (I'll explain further). Then we got his length by me laying my head on top of him she was able to get it BUT I couldn't hear what she said as far as how long he his because he was so mad. I do know he's in the 50th percentile. So after the nurse earned her paycheck, Dr. O'Neil walked in. Now that I think about it, I think THEY wanted us in and out as much as we wanted to be in and out.

Dr. O'Neil did Andrew's check up first and of course he did great. Nothing to worry about with him. Then it was time for my little man. Matthew checked out fine as well even though he cried through the entire check up. Then came my list of questions...all pertaining to Matthew.
1. He won't drink milk anymore should I be worried?
2. He is extremely picky and would rather go to bed hungry than eat what I put on his plate unless it's the food of choice of the week. (IE one week he'll only eat pizza, the next week he hates pizza and will only eat oatmeal..not kidding).
3. Will he be on Miralax his entire life?
4. He's not talking, should I be worried?

Guess what Dr. O'Neil's answer was to EACH of these questions. MATTHEW IS STUBBORN! Obviously I already knew that but he said it all comes down to him being in control and these are things I can't control so here we are. SUCH A MCLAUGHLIN! :)

Then it was time for shots. Last year they were out of Hep A for Andrew so he needed that. Matthew needed the two 18 month shots. But being the paranoid mom I am and after all of the research I've done, I asked Dr. O'Neil if he thought it would be alright for me to bring Matthew back when he was 100% better. He actually agreed with me and said that would be the safest thing to do. For once I didn't feel so crazy:) Andrew is usually really good with shots. So I didn't make a big deal about it. He watched the shot go in and did awesome AND THEN he was MAD! Once the band aid was on and the nurse was finished he was hysterical. "THAT HURT MOM!" I guess he wanted me to prepare him better. Oh, well once we got the cookies and stickers, everyone was happy again.

Thank God, they put a drive thru Starbucks next to the doctors office because I needed a treat after those appointments:)

I actually brought my camera to the appointment hoping to capture a shot for the blog but that didn't happen.

1 comment:

  1. LOL, I so feel you!! Ryan always tries scale diving too...so any help besides "he's stubborn", cause many of those questions are on my list for Ryan' 18 mos appt as well.
    How are you feeling these day?

    ReplyDelete