Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July Weekend

I love long weekends! It's so nice to have an extra day with Drew around the house. Friday was a great day. We hung out in the morning and got two phone calls that people wanted to see our house. So we picked up the house and headed out. We grabbed lunch and then headed to the Magic House. Boy, we weren't the only ones with that idea. (I'm so mad I forgot my camera.) The boys had a great time and the timing worked out perfectly because we were out of the house during the showings but home just in time for naps. Once the boys woke up, we headed over to my grandma's for dinner with my aunt, uncle, and cousins from California as well as the local family. Everyone had a great time.

Saturday Drew was playing in a golf tournament and I planned on taking the boys to the VP Parade (4th of July Parade) with my mom. We got a ton of rain starting about 5am. The forecast all week was saying it would stop early but it lasted a little longer than expected. They delayed the parade an hour (which worked out better for our schedule) so my mom and decided to chance it and head down town. Right as we got down there the rain slowed down and finally stopped. We got an amazing parking spot for $5 which we couldn't believe. Then as we walked towards the parade route we began to wonder if we missed it. There were very few people along the streets. So we asked a police officer and she said the parade was just starting and would be by in a few minutes. So we got an amazing spot and waited for the parade to begin.


My mom and I could not get over how few people had braved the weather but we were also thankful for all the space and the great view that we had. Andrew wore a patriotic hat that he had taken from my grandma's house the night before and it ended up being the perfect candy holder. Everyone that came by just dumped more and more candy in his hat. At first he was in shock of all the activities going on and sat very stoic as Matthew waved to every person that came by. Andrew said his favorite part was the fire trucks. After the parade we walked a block to Panera and grabbed some lunch. As we went to our table Andrew asked, "Mom, um did you by any chance bring a change of clothes?" I asked if he wet his pants and indeed he did. Of course I didn't have a change of clothes. So he stood during lunch and was actually a really good sport about it. We also got to see some of the All Star Game decorations in preparation for next week. When we got back to the car I found one of Matthew's swim diapers and squeezed Andrew into that until we got home. Pretty funny!


The boys took great naps and then we got ready for the golf tournament dinner. As we were on our way I got a text from Drew that there was a playoff. Since the party was at my aunt's I fed the boys when I got there and then my mom and I walked over to the course to see if we could catch the playoff. My mom got a cart and of course the boys were in heaven as we drove around and looked for them. As we got close Matthew started to do his loud point and "get everyone's attention" noise. So we basically drove in circles trying to get a glimpse without disturbing. My dad and Pete's team ended up beating Drew and John's team as well as another team that was in the playoff but everyone had a great time. The dinner was great and the boys enjoyed staying up late and catching lightning bugs. We saw a few fireworks but the boys started to fade so we didn't head to a "show". We let Andrew watch a few on TV once we got home since he seemed to be into them this year.


Of course staying up late doesn't equal sleeping in for our family so we got up and headed to 7:30 mass. Then came home for a very low key morning. Then we grabbed lunch and it was surprisingly chilly eating outside. How crazy is that for July?! The boys went down for a much needed nap and I headed to Josie's baptism. She was adorable and did such a great job. Then we headed to Bartolino's for the celebration where the boys joined me. Of course the food was amazing and everyone had a great time. Andrew and Kiersten had a great time causing all sorts of trouble. At one point we turned around to them putting their fingers in beautiful cake. Matthew was quite a pill because he hadn't caught up on sleep from the weekend. So we headed out as the festivities were winding down and he was in bed by 6:45. Now we'll see what time he wakes up! It's been a fun filled holiday weekend, now it's back to reality.








No comments:

Post a Comment