Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January 2011

I found it hard to get back into the swing of things after Christmas and New Years but we made it over the hump and here are some of our January highlights.

My friend Catherine came in town. Unfortunately it was for her grandmother's funeral but luckily the funeral wasn't the only time I got to see her. I took Matthew and Molly over to her parent's house to play with her 2 little ones while Andrew was at school. It was so good to see her and try and catch up while keeping up with the kiddos.

Andrew had a lingering cough that he had been battling since before Christmas. He woke up for school on Monday, the 10th, and told me he was too sick to go. He wasn't running a fever and to me his cough didn't seem much different. I started the internal battle of is he over reacting/ am I under reacting? He really likes school so I didn't think he was trying to get out of it but I didn't know if I could justify keeping him home with a cough that he's had for 2 weeks. Does that mean he needs to stay home every time he has a cough?! That could be all winter!!! Anyway I had a long battle in my head and finally decided I would take Matthew to school and take Andrew to the doctor. I figured since it was better than taking 3 kids to the doctor the next day if he was to get worse.

I got Andrew in for a 9:30 appointment so I dropped Matthew off and headed to the doc. Of course since it was a Monday morning, kids were just pouring in. I just love thinking about all of those germs! They finally got us back to a room and took his vitals. Then the nurse practitioner came in and said she wanted to take his oxygen levels. She said they were low. Not horrible but lower than they should be. She then sent a nurse in to give him a breathing treatment to see if that would help them go up. So we did that, waited, took his levels again. Waited. They did not go up. They listened to him again. And then as he was sitting on the table he started shivering and his cheeks were bright red. The fever finally made it's debut. They didn't do a chest x-ray but the nurse practitioner said she was pretty sure he had viral pneumonia. By this time it was 11:15 and I had to leave right that second if I was going to be on time picking up Matthew. BUT they still had to come in and teach me how to give Andrew his breathing treatments. Luckily Drew wasn't in a meeting and he said he could help me out and get Matthew from school. We finished up at the office, met Drew in Chesterfield to get Matthew, went to Walgreens, McDonalds and home! What a day, and that was all before lunch!

Luckily Andrew didn't miss school Tuesday because it ended up being a snow day. He had enough energy to play in the snow for a little bit so I got the kids bundled and headed outside.

Time it took to get everyone in their gear....30 minutes....
Time we spent outside....20 minutes. :)


By Wednesday, Andrew had been fever free for 24 hours but he said he needed one more day to recover. I figured he knew his body and was still coughing quite a bit. Luckily Matthew didn't seem phased by Andrew staying home from school while he was going. This was shocking to me but VERY exciting!

Andrew made it to school by Thursday, the last day of his school week. At least I had one child in school each day that week.

Friday Drew and I got to get out of the house! We gave the kids a bath, put Molly to bed and had Despicable Me rented for the boys on Direct TV. We had a sitter come over about 7:30 and we were free! (for a few hours). Our friends the Freemans have boys the same ages as our boys and then they have TRIPLETS the same age as Molly! It was the triplets first birthday celebration, at a bar, adults only:) Now that's what I call a great idea for a triplets first birthday party. They treated all the people who helped them out the first year to a few beers. It was a really nice night and so nice to have adult conversation.

Saturday I got to go out again! It was my friend Stacy's 30th birthday party. Her parents and sister organized a girls only party at her house. It was very well done with lots of food, drinks, great friends, and of course an ice luge for shots.

The best part of Sunday was the fact that Monday was MLK day and Drew didn't have to work. We had a great family day and then a great Sunday dinner at my parents. Monday I got my hair cut and Drew got the oil changed in my van. Two big tasks out of the way. I love having a bonus day!

Wednesday we had another snow system move it. I was at bible study and Drew texted me about 8 that it had started and it would be a good idea to head home about 9. I left about 9 and it took me an hour to get home. The roads were in bad shape and the snow was coming down fast and furious. By the time we woke up Thursday morning we had about 9 inches of snow! Drew worked from home that morning while I tried to keep the kids entertained and out of his hair. I took them outside for a little bit but the snow was so high that if I set Molly down she couldn't move! The boys had a great time making snow angels and using their shovels. Unfortunately it wasn't good "snowman making" snow.





Saturday we took Max back in to the vet. He still was not eating from the episode he had on New Year's Eve. When they weighted him at the doctor he was down 20 pounds from the first of the year! They kept him all day and did some blood work and tests. They called us and said that if they couldn't get him to eat anything at the office we were going to have to take him to an Emergency clinic to get him an IV because he was very dehydrated and his electrolytes were low. Luckily they were able to get him to eat something at the vet. The last time we took him in they said that there was a chance he had Addison's disease so the tests they were running would let them know for sure. They went ahead and gave him an injection that is for Addison's disease to see if it would help. Then on Monday they called to let us know that he did have it and they gave him a prescription for a pill that he now has to take every day. We were happy to finally figure out what's going on and he is doing SO much better!

Drew bought a few "sleds" on Saturday since it was finally warm enough to go sledding. We borrowed our neighbor's hill and had a great time sledding as a family.



No comments:

Post a Comment