Monday, June 27, 2011

First Week of Summer

Monday our mission was to "break" in to my mom and dad's house and confiscate as many pictures as we could for a slideshow for my mom's 60th. On the way we stopped by Longview park to play a little bit and check on the horses. When we got to my mom's house, getting pictures and leaving no evidence wasn't exactly an easy task but we succeeded. Andrew kept asking me if the police were going to come because I told him we were breaking in. Maybe that wasn't the best choice of words. 



Tuesday we had Molly's 18 month check up and I went ahead and scheduled Andrew's 6 year (a few months early) to make my life easier. Andrew was so brave. He had to get 4 shots and a few screenings since he will be going into Kindergarten in the fall. I was so proud of him. Molly only had to get 1 shot and she did not think that was cool but she recovered quickly. Here are their stats:

Andrew:
         Height: 46 in (75%)
         Weight: 46 lbs (60%)

Molly:
         Height: 33 in (80%)
         Weight: 22.8 lbs (25%)
         Head: 45.6 cm (25%)


Wednesday (aka "The Horrible Terrible No Good Very Bad Day") Matthew had his first of two dentist appointments to fill cavities (bad genes thanks to me). We gave him the choice and he chose for Drew to take him. I entertained Andrew and Molly for an hour while they were at the dentist. As I was about to pull in after the appointment I got a call from Drew saying, "where are you, it's not good". I asked what was going on and all he said was GET HERE NOW! I had no idea what was going on but pulled in and saw Matthew in Drew's car screaming and Drew looking like he had been hit by a truck. I jumped out and grabbed Matthew and just held him, trying to calm him down. Poor guy had such a numb mouth and was just drooling everywhere. We decided to try and get him to eat some ice cream to see if that would help. Drew was still very frazzled so once he saw I had things under control he went back to work. I later found out that it was Drew's worst experience as a parent. He had to physically hold Matthew down for an entire hour while the dentist drilled and Matthew screamed the entire time. Drew said the dentist made it seem like this was not unusual and not torture. We were both so upset by the trauma Matthew had been through. We knew this was not the time to discuss other options or the situation in detail because it was still very upsetting to Drew but we knew we would make different arrangements for his next visit.
Molly comforting her brother. She's such a momma.

After the trauma of the morning the tornado sirens went off right at nap time. We spent the next 2 hours in our basement. Matthew was still in pain but he was content playing with his new play doh toy for his "bravery" reward. I may or may not have grabbed an adult beverage as the sirens sounded.


Thursday I was looking forward to a day to chill and do nothing. Matthew woke up that morning still in pain and refused to even open his mouth much less eat or drink. After chasing him around the house with Tylenol I decided it would be best to call the dentist and see if this was normal. Of course the answer was no but our dentist conveniently left town for the holiday weekend. They recommended a different pediatric dentist. By the time we got all of this figured out the only time this dentist could see us was in 30 minutes. Well that would have been ok if we were all dressed and ready to go but like I said I thought it was our chill day, we were still in our pjs. I told them we would be there in 30, threw clothes on the kids and jumped in the car. We weren't too late. Once the dentist convinced Matthew to open his mouth she was horrified. His mouth was full of canker sores from all of the equipment that had been in his mouth and the area that was around the crown on his molar was infected. She called in a prescription and was very nice about the whole situation. We stopped by Oberweis for his ice cream lunch and I was able to force the medicine down him. Poor guy!

He literally run to the top of the play set so I wouldn't give him his medicine
Friday we met a group of friends to go Strawberry picking. The weather was perfect and it was the perfect outing after our crazy week. It was very low key and fun. Of course my kids don't like strawberries so they weren't exactly eating them off of the vines but they did think it was a fun activity. Andrew got to reunite with his buddy Timmy (our old neighbor) and Matthew got to see his buddy Bobby and Molly saw her friend Mia. Thanks for lifting our spirits friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment