Thursday, July 28, 2011

Surgery Week

The Monday after my mom's birthday, I had surgery to repair an umbilical hernia. My mom took me to the surgery center while Drew stayed home with the kids and took the boys to their first day of vacation bible school. The surgery went well, I woke up very sore but a little loopy from the drugs. I was still feeling good when I got home so I had lunch with the kids and heard about vacation bible school. Andrew loved it even though he didn't know anyone in his group. Matthew on the other hand had a rough time and was not a fan. After lunch I went to bed while my mom took care of the kids and Drew did some work. Then my mom headed home and Drew was in charge the rest of the evening. I was totally out of commission when the anesthesia wore off and I was on the pain meds.
Happy to be home!

Monday night was rough because I was in so much pain and Tuesday was by far my hardest day. I was trying to stay off of the pain meds because they made me feel weird. Drew decided not to send Matthew back to vacation bible school and I totally supported that decision. My mom arrived bright and early so Drew could head to work and she took over the parenting responsibilities. I tried to get up and down as much as possible because I was beginning to feel stiff from laying in bed for so long. It was hard getting out of bed for several reasons but the main problem was Molly wanting me to hold her when she laid eyes on me.
Playing on grandma's ipad

Slowly but surely I was starting to feel better but frustrated because I was pretty useless around the house. Wednesday the boys had their first swim lesson. Since Matthew decided to nap, I took Andrew for his lesson and my mom met me there with Matthew and Molly for Matthew's lesson. The boys did really well considering this was their first lesson. Matthew was a little leery about getting in the pool but once Drew arrived he decided to get in and was fascinated with a bug that was on the side, hey whatever it takes. Of course I was very sore after this outing so I was pretty much out of commission the rest of the evening but I was happy to get out of the house.




Thursday I decided to take advantage of having my mom around for a few more days so I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure. What a nice treat!! That afternoon we had swim practice again and then the boys earned a special nacho treat for doing so well. They were in heaven!




Friday I picked Andrew up from his last day of vacation bible school because they had a little closing ceremony. It was so cute to see him singing the songs and interacting with the new friends he had made. Then we had a little lunch date, just the two of us! It was so fun because I rarely get one on one time with him. It was a bitter sweet day because it was the last day my mom would be around to help but I was happy to be feeling better and move on with life as normal. Thanks a million for all of your help mom! A big thank you to Drew too who was in charge from the time he got home until everyone was asleep. 
VBS
Icing the belly with my helper

No comments:

Post a Comment