Friday, October 23, 2009

WHAT-A-WEEK

Tuesday started off as a great day. Drew had been out of town since Monday. The boys slept through the night which was my biggest prayer and Andrew had school. I decided to take the boys to Chick fil A for lunch since they did so well while dad was gone. We had a nice lunch and headed home for naps. To my surprise Matthew was still asleep after 3 hours. RED FLAG. I went in to get him after 3 hours and 15 minutes and you guessed it, FEVER. NOOOO! I got tylenol in him and didn't panic. He had a relatively good evening and went to bed without a problem. He woke up once but we just gave him Tylenol and he went back down. When he woke up in the morning he still had a fever and started a cough. I decided with all the "hoop la" going on with the flus to call the doc and get their opinion. They told me they were seeing kids with fevers and coughs if I wanted to bring him in. I told them I was okay with just watching him and if he got worse I'd bring him in Thursday.

Well he got worse fast. He woke up from his nap Wednesday with a 104 temp! I FREAKED OUT. I called them back and the nurse was extremely helpful considering we are new patients and have never been to the pediatrician before. She told me to get him in the car and rush in. If I could get there by 4 they would see him. Great, except I had NO clue where I was going. She gave me directions which I jotted down but was TOTALLY unfamiliar with that particular part of town. I called Drew hysterical. He told me to get in the car and he would call me back with detailed directions. Of course I couldn't calm down and was being difficult to work with but he stayed patient and I managed to get there at 4:05 (don't worry, they let us in:)) Of course being a new patient I had to fill out lots of paper work. I was sweating, Andrew was trying to calm me down (mom, I love you more than you can imagine), and Matthew was a little tomato that looked horrible. They called us back and had one nurse take Matthew's vitals while the other asked me all the questions. Then a very nice doctor came in and took one look at Matthew and said, "oh you poor thing."

She did a thorough check up and ended with the throat. Of course she had to pry it open. Well she took one look at it and said, I'll be right back with a strep test. She took a swab of his throat and the swab was full of blood. Oh my poor baby! Of course he was beside himself so I just held him while we waited for the results. She came back in and said it was negative but they would also do the overnight test. She diagnosed him with acute tonsillitis and prescribed steroids and an antibiotic. She said she wanted to see him back in a couple of day to make sure he was improving.

I left feeling under control, relived that he didn't have THE flu, and happy with our choice of pediatrician. I dropped off the prescription, Drew picked up dinner and we managed to get everyone in bed.

Thursday I woke up at about 5 with what felt like an elephant on my chest. Oh no. I got Andrew ready for school, dropped him off, headed to my weekly OB appointment. Luckily Drew was able to meet me there and drive around while Matthew slept. I progressed a little bit this week and everything sounded good with our little girl. I told my OB about Matthew and he of course was concerned about me. He told me to call the pediatrician back and MAKE SURE HE DID NOT HAVE THE FLU! I told him we were going back and I would talk to Matthew's doctor. I felt like I was going down hill during the day but kept on trucking. Drew of course had to go to a board meeting and didn't get home until 7. About 6:30 the tears started to well up in my eyes again. I'm just going to blame it on the hormones.

This morning Drew got up with Matthew at 5 and I got up with Andrew at 6:15. (Thank you dear). Matthew cried from 6:15 to 7:45 at which point he fell asleep on my lap. We had to get ready for our follow up appointment so I laid him down got me and Andrew ready, got Andrew in the car and then ran out with Matthew PJs and wet diaper included. Of course once again we walked in the office looking like a total wreck. I'm sure they are really starting to wonder about us. We saw a different doctor today... a little odd but still very nice. He said Matthew throat was still pretty irritated but there wasn't really much else they could do. They were happy he was drinking and his fever was down. I told him about my OB wanting to be sure it was not the flu. He said he highly doubted it but since I was prego he would go ahead and run the test. Apparently a VERY irritated throat is not common with the flu. They did the flu test and said they would have the results in 15 minutes. Well the doctor came back in about 5 and said it was POSITIVE. NOOOOO! Of course this opened a whole new can of worms. I had to call my OB, he was out of town, the nurse had to talk to a different OB, they finally decided I need to be on Tamiflu as a precaution...any guesses on the cost of Tamiflu?

OH but the day doesn't end there. Andrew just came to kiss me goodnight and YES, his neck felt warm! Drew was like, "oh he was laying on me, we were all warm and cozy, do you want me to take his temp?" Well sure enough, it's only 100 but MAN! More to come, I'm sure!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Liz, I'm so sorry!! We had a scare of "the" flu last week too...so stressful! I'll be praying for you and the boys.

    ReplyDelete