Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Entertaining Ashes


This morning I went to Ash Wednesday mass and when I got home, I had forgotten about the DARK ashes on my forehead. The boys were playing and they both looked up as I walked in the door and stopped everything. Then Andrew says, "Mom, what is on your head." I told him I had ashes on my head because it's a church "holiday" to start preparing for Easter. And he says, "Does that mean the Easter bunny is going to lay and egg in my shoe again?" I explained that the Easter bunny will be coming but not for 40 days. And he says, "Oh, so I wake up and go to sleep and then the Easter bunny will be here." Then I try to explain 40 days at which point he lost interest and went back to why I have ashes on my head. Meanwhile, Matthew walked over and wanted to be picked up so I picked him up and he started pointing at my head, laughing hysterically. Then Drew made a comment about how it is common to be made fun of on the street but I get to experience it right here at home. I told him to just wait until he comes home with ashes tonight. He'll get the questions all over again. Then Drew headed to work and I got Andrew ready for school. As I was helping him with his socks and shoes, Andrew asked if he could touch my ashes. I let him and he wanted to do it again and again. I'm glad I could be so entertaining for my family this morning.

One more story:
I got to start the day with a smile on my face today. About 6:00 Drew turned on our video monitor to check on the boys. They were both sitting up in bed staring at each other but they were surprisingly quiet. Then Matthew stood up to get a better view of his brother. Andrew of course thought this was great because he loves being the center of attention. So then it became Andrew's mission to entertain Matthew. Before I go on, you may be wondering why Andrew was still in bed even though he was awake. Well he's not allowed to get out of bed until there is a 6 on his clock (which we have moved back about 30 min). So Andrew started to move the curtains and look out the window to see if Matthew would do the same. Sure enough he did and Andrew thought this was great. So it became a game and we could hear both of them belly laughing. Drew decided it would be best to let them get up early since we just got these expensive "blackout shades". So we went in but it was so fun to see them enjoying being roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment